Each year, Humane Society Naples celebrates National Animal Shelter Appreciation Week during the first full week of November, as a way to honor animal shelters and the dedicated people who work to protect and adopt orphaned animals. Animal shelters are recognized as vital resources for their communities. A shelter is a safe haven for animals and a great place to adopt a new family pet. Shelters also provide critical services such as teaching kids to care about animals and offer spay/neuter services to help reduce pet overpopulation.
There are approximately 14,000 animal shelters across the United States available to serve the estimated 7.6 million homeless animals that enter shelters each year, but only about half are adopted. It’s estimated that 78 million dogs and 85.8 million cats are owned in the US. Approximately 65% of all households in the US have a pet. About 37% of dogs and 46% of cats are adopted from shelters. In contrast to this unfortunate national statistic, HSN is again shattering annual adoption records. Currently, our no-kill shelter is expected to surpass 3,600 pets rescued and adopted this year.
Here are just a few ways to get involved:
• Adopt your next pet from a shelter!
• Follow Humane Society Naples on social media.
• Volunteer – helping animals at HSN can be an incredibly rewarding experience.
• Be a responsible pet owner. Keep your pet at home as a member of your family for a lifetime. Spay/neuter your pets, make sure they’re wearing collars and ID tags (to get them home if they become lost), don’t let your pets roam loose.
• Donate supplies. HSN is often in need of towels, canned food, toys and other items. You can view our Wish List here. Request donations of from family, friends and colleagues. You might also want to team up with your school or business to organize a supply drive.
However, with each additional pet rescued and adopted the need for private support from the community becomes greater. National Animal Shelter Appreciation Week is a perfect opportunity for you, your family and your community to become acquainted with HSN and to help orphaned pets.
[dt_button link=”hsnaples.org/donate” target_blank=”false” button_alignment=”default” animation=”fadeIn” size=”medium” style=”default” bg_color_style=”default” bg_hover_color_style=”default” text_color_style=”default” text_hover_color_style=”default” icon=”fa fa-chevron-circle-right” icon_align=”left”]Give Today[/dt_button]