During National Veterinary Technician Appreciation Week, we would like to highlight the contributions of talented and hardworking vet techs on our HSN Veterinary Clinic and intake clinic team.
In addition to helping care for your pets during the day, each of our veterinary technicians has at least one pet of their own. They understand exactly how much your pets mean to you.
The National Association of Veterinary Technicians started an awareness campaign in 1993 and decided to host it every year during the third week of October. The organization hoped that National Veterinary Technician Appreciation Week would encourage greater awareness about the essential role of the vet tech and give veterinarians, other support staff and clients the chance to say “thank you” for a job well done. Our veterinarians rely on the assistance and expertise of vet techs, who complete many duties behind-the-scenes that clients don’t see.
When it comes to working with animals, our vet techs know to expect the unexpected. Things can and do change quickly. Clients bringing their pets in for surgery, a nervous animal trying to make an escape or an appointment going much longer than expected are just some of the things that can change the course of a day. While it’s impossible to describe a typical day, here are some of the veterinary tasks our techs do consistently:
- Interview clients about their pet’s health history and record information in the medical chart
- Provide prompt first aid to injured animals
- Collect specimens required for laboratory testing such as tissues, blood and urine
- Help to keep anxious animals calm by talking to them in a soothing manner providing a calming touch
- Help to restrain animals during a procedure if necessary
- Take X-rays and develop them for the doctor
- Administer medications and vaccines
- Assist in preparing pets for surgery
Aside from preventive care exams, many pets who come to our clinic are sick or injured and often scared. That means our clients may feel stressed and upset as well. A vet tech is often the first person you encounter after checking in with our client care team. Our techs are skilled at putting both you and your pet at ease.
National Veterinary Technician Appreciation Week officially runs from October 14 to October 20 this year, but you can express your appreciation whenever you happen to visit! Our entire staff also appreciates that you have chosen the HSN Veterinary Clinic to care for the health needs of your beloved pets.